Originally built in 1907, University Lofts is an eight-story building that was rehabbed in 1999-2000. The property is located on the western edge of the downtown St. Louis business district, an area ripe with opportunity and rebirth. The building and the parking lot were donated to Rise by Washington University in St. Louis.
The project includes gallery space (Des Les Gallery in honor of W.U. alumnus E. Desmond Lee) on the first floor and 26 spacious apartments on floors two-eight. The apartments were designed as living and working space for artists and have been marketed to many Washington University School of Art alum.
Their art is often on display in the hallways and common spaces of the building.